You can create automation series for your emails. The emails will be automatically sent to your clients, coworkers, potential clients, etc. at the time and trigger that you specify in this category.
Open ''Automation'' and click on the button: ''New Automation''.
You can choose 5 different triggers for your emails sending.
- Subscribed to a List or Segment — by choosing this trigger automation series will start when subscriber joins a list or a segment that you need to specify once this trigger is chosen
- A Field is Updated — series will begin when a specific field changes its value which you will specify once this trigger is chosen. You will need to start by choosing a list, then a field name and then type in the field value that will trigger the automation series.
- A specific Date occurs — series will begin to send when a specific date occurs. You will be able to specify list and date field once this trigger is chosen
- A Campaign is Opened or Clicked — series will begin to send once a specific campaign is opened or clicked. You will be able to specify a precise campaign and choose rather it should be opened or clicked if you choose clicked you can also choose any link or a specific link should be clicked.
- Based on previous Automation — Automation series will begin to send when a specific automation has ended. You can select automation series that will trigger a new automation series to send as soon as a subscriber has finished the specific automation that you have selected.
You can find the appropriate list/campaign/automation by typing the title in the first row of drop-down menu, which will help you find the exact one you are looking for.
When a trigger is chosen, you will be able to choose based on what criteria the automation series must start.
Then you will need to enter:
- Automation title
- Sender Email — already predefined
- Sender Name — already predefined
- Choose tracking settings
- Choose days of the week when automation series must be sent
- Choose enrollment limits
Once you have entered all the information needed, click on Create button.
You will be redirected to Automation Builder.
There you will see the first block which is a trigger block (in purple). By clicking on the block, you will be able to change settings you entered in the previous step.
Under the trigger block, you will see a ''+'' icon. Click on it to add the first email in the series.
Once you add an email, a left-side bar will open.
There you need to enter:
- Title of the message
- Select a delay
- Enter a Subject Line
- Choose a Template
If you need to change settings of the message you can click on Message settings link and change previously defined settings.
Once you have entered all the information needed, click on Save button.
Under the first email block, you will see a ''+'' icon. By clicking on the icon you will see additional options:
- Add email
- Add if split
- Add random split
- SMS message
- Notify someone (coming soon)
- Tag (coming soon)
- Add endpoint
It will split your first message into two branches. The title of those branches will depend on what you have chosen while adding the condition. You change choose to split message by opens or by clicks. If you choose clicks then you can also choose if subscribers click on any link or a specific link in the previous email.
For example, we chose to add IF opened an email. There will be one branch called OPENED and the other one will be called DIDN'T OPEN. You can add emails or SMS to each of the branches, or you can continue with one branch only. For example, if we chose to add email only to an OPENED branch, the ones that didn't click the previous email won't receive any messages.
So, what you can do with the IF condition is to separate your subscribers by those who opened/didn't open your message and then based on that criteria send other messages.
A random split will divide your message into two branches. You can select in the left-side bar the percentage of each branch. You can divide subscribers to 50/50 ratio or whatever you need.
For example, we added an email and after that, we have prepared two emails and want to test which one has better results (you can use random split to test as well). So, we add a random split after the email and divide our subscribers into two groups. As mentioned we can set the percentage of the each branch and then add our prepared emails.
You can also add SMS messages in automation series. Just choose it from ''+'' icon drop down and enter message title, subject line and message in the left-side bar.
Notify someone (coming soon)
This is a condition that you can use to notify someone about different events in automation series.
For example, you have a Welcome series, and for the last message, you can add a Notification condition. You can add an email address, for example, your sales manager's email address, who will receive the notification message with information about people that have completed Welcome series. Afterwards, the sales manager can contact them.
Tag (coming soon)
You will be able to tag subscribers based on their actions in automation series. Just add a tag by selecting from ''+'' icon. Then add a tag title. If a subscriber will pass the tag condition it will be automatically added to the list and you will be able to segment those subscribers.
After the IF condition or Random Split, you can also join branches. You can use that to end series or continue to send messages to both branches.
Every automation must be completed with the End condition. You can add it by yourself or if you forgot the system will add it automatically as soon as you activate your automation series.
After you have built automation series the only thing left to do is to activate your series. You can do that by clicking on the Start automation button on the bottom row on the right.
When activating an automation series by clicking on Start automation button you will be presented with an option to add/skip past recipients to the flow. You will see this message:
- Skip Past Events — only future changes in the list will be counted as the trigger
- Add Past Recipients — existing contacts that fit the trigger criteria will be added to the automation series as well as the contacts that will fit the criteria later