Once you have a list of subscribers, you can segment it into groups. Segmenting lets you send a campaign only to the groups of subscribers that is appropriate.
For example, instead of emailing everyone on your list, you might only want to send an email to the segment of subscribers who subscribed after a certain date, because you advertised a promotion in your last newsletter and you want the new subscribers to know about it too.
Segments can be based either on list fields or on subscriber activity. This topic describes segments based on list fields.
List creation process
- Creating a new email campaign list
- Adding subscribers to an email campaign list
- Segmenting an email campaign list
To segment an email list:
On the toolbar, select Lists > Segments.
In the Segments screen, that appears, click Create New Segment button on the right.
In the Create Segment screen that appears, provide the following preference details:
- For Segment title, type in a title of the segment you want to create. The title in the example shown is "Subscribers since Summer campaign". Let's say you want to use a segment to find people who subscribed after you sent your last campaign on June 30 (because it announced a huge Summer Sale and you want to tell new subscribers about it, too). This segment will do that.
- Select the list you want to segment by clicking on the checkbox.
The criteria screen appears:
- Create a rule for selecting the recipients that will be included in the new segment. Following the example above, the rule will separate subscribers who were on the list before your June campaign was sent, from those who have signed up since:
- Leave Match Type as is: Match all rules (AND conditions).
- For Filter Subscribers Where, construct the rule "Opt-in Date is after 30/06/2013", by selecting Opt-in Date in the first list; is after in the second list; and selecting the date 30/06/2013 from the calendar in the third field (you can also type in "30/06/2013").
Segmentation rules can be quite complex. Several typical scenarios for segmentation and the best rules to apply are provided in the topic How to create a Segment.
Click Save in the bottom right corner.
Then platform returns you to the Segments screen and displays the new segment.