To create a segment based on more than one list
Select the Segments option from the List Menu. This will open the Segments Window.
Click the Create New Segment Button.
- Select the option to create a segment from a list
- Then, enter a segment title.
- Finally, choose all lists you want to include in the segment
- Click the button Next to continue.
Before you can create a segment using multiple lists you will need to reconcile the list fields. This is handled through the Match Segment Fields Table at the top of the Segment Filter Window.
The point of reconciling is to match potentially different fields together so that the data any column is the same.
For example, one list may have a field named “First Name” and another list may have a field named “name”. As long as the data is the same between the two differently named fields, they can be mapped together.
Field mapping is also important when one list doesn't have the same number of data elements as another. In that example, “first name” in one list may line up to “last name” in another list.
To map fields:
- Highlight the field column where the fields are not mapped correctly and click the Edit Button which appears. This will display a small pop-up window.
- Field Name — enter a name for the field. This is what will be displayed when viewing the segment.
- Merge Tag — enter a merge tag value. You can also just accept the default value.
- Using the drop-downs, select the field names for each list so that the data elements match.
- Click the button Save.
After you have mapped the fields between the lists, you can specify Subscriber-based and Activity-based filtering to select specific email addresses from the list. For more information on adding filters, see the support topic “How to Create a Segment.”