Email Campaign Reports: What Are The Different Types of Email Bounces
Last Updated: Sep 08 2020 11:06 am UTC
Our system handles five different kinds of bounced emails:
- Hard—these are non-existent emails (i.e., wrong domain, wrong email address, email is inactive)
- Blocked—these are blocked attempts to send. The blocking happens for a variety of reasons including the content of the email, sender name or email address, server IP or domain blacklisting, inappropriate links, etc.
- Soft—these are undeliverable emails for a variety of reasons including content rejection, email box is full, email is too big, warning message, email is deferred, the server is not available, etc.
- Temporary—these are delayed emails because of some error at the receiving server. The server tried to send a couple of times, but the sending failed.
- Generic—all other bounced emails that do not fit into one of the above categories.